Simara Gold Cup

Three Star into semis

February 13, 2018 07:58 AM Upendra Yadav

BARA, Feb 13: A-division outfit Three Star Club (TSC) has advanced into the semifinals of the ongoing ninth Ruslan Simara Gold Cup football tournament defeating Far-western XI Sports Club 4-2 in tiebreaker on Monday.

At Simara Stadium, the match was pushed into tiebreaker after both the teams played a 1-1 draw in the regulation time.

Rejin Dhimal, Buddha Chemjong, Nirajan Khadka and Sunil Bal scored for the winning team, while Narendra Chaudhary and Rakesh Hamal scored for Far-western. Jeevan Chaudhary’s shot was saved by TSC goalkeeper Alan Neupane and skipper Chetan Tharu fired the ball over the cross bar.

TSC took the lead in the 43rd minute through Bishwas Shrestha utilizing a pass from Nirajan Khadka, but faced a killer blow as Far-western equalized in the 87th minute from Mani Ram Chaudhary from a pass from Chetan Tharu near the penalty area. 

Far-western, who could not create enough chances in the first half, played superbly in the second period. 

TSC also threw a series of chances as African player Martin missed a glorious opportunity from near the penalty area, while captain Khadka’s poor shot was easily saved by Far-western goalkeeper Jeevan Bhattarai. TSC missed another chance in the 25th minute as African player Peter’s header went over the bar, while Sunil Bal’s effort also sailed over the bar in the 27th minute. 

Far-western also got many chances in the second half, but missed some wonderful opportunities to score. Chaudhary’s corner ball was saved from the goal-line by TSC shot-stopper Neupane in the 39th minute, while Madav Bhandari missed a chance in the 50th minute as his shot sailed over the bar. 

Likewise, Bhandari’s other shot was saved by Neupane in the 58th minute, while Philip Tamang missed a one-on-one chance in the 72nd minute. Neupane was named the man-of-the-match for his contributions. 

The defending champion CMG Sankata Club will take on Birjung United Club on Monday in the last quarterfinal match. 

TSC’s Martin was handed a two-match ban for involving in a fight with the opponent team’s player after the game ended in a draw after the normal time. 

Martin manhandled Bishwas Shrestha after the normal time. Shrestha suffered an injury in his cheeks. 


Leave A Comment