RAMBHAPUR (BANKE), June 15: An elderly man was killed and over 200 people rendered homeless after a massive fire destroyed at least 35 houses in Indrapur VDC of Banke on Friday.
Bhallar Kahar, 70 was unable to escape the fire and was charred to death in his own house, the police said.
The fire, which was caused by a short circuit on an electricity pole, engulfed a cluster of 30 thatched houses in no time. The fire also damaged five concrete houses. Fire fighters deployed by Nepalgunj municipality, local people and security personnel, took almost five hours to extinguish the fire.
DSP Uday Kumar Tamang said a fire engine was called in from India after the local fire fighters failed to control the blaze on their own.
"The fire destroyed everything," said Mewalal Pasi, one of the fire victims. "We have no clothes, no food."
Another fire victim Naresh Raidas said, "I am happy that I could at least save my life."