CHITWAN, June 21: Army Chief General Chhatraman Gurung has taken a two-year-old Chepang boy, orphaned after five of a family died after eating toxic mushroom in Kabilas-7, Choukidanda, in his custody on Thursday.
A team from Shumsher Dal Battalion of Bharatpur, under instructions from General Gurung, sent Chokman Chepang to Kathmandu on Wednesday. Gurung will raise the kid and provide him education.
“We brought the boy from village after chief saap [Gurung] asked us to do so. He has said that he will ensure that the boy has a better future,” Battalion Commander Jyotendra Mahat said.
“We reached the boy´s home in the morning and asked his grandfather Maitlal if he would give the boy to us. He said there is no one to care for even him and asked us to take the boy,” Mahat added.
A six-month suckling is also suffering after the death of his mother. “He keeps on crying and doesn´t drink cow and buffalo milk,” Maya Chepang, a relative, said.
Five of the family including the boys´ father Buddhi Bahadur and mother Somati had died after eating toxic mushroom on June 14.